We're in this for the long haul

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches

I heard about Elvis Presley's peanut butter and banana sandwiches recently, and I couldn't believe it, but I tried them today.  They were good.  I don't think mine were like his, but then I just took a stab in the dark and used my imagination.   Elvis's had cocoa, so I missed that part.

This is the way I did it: 
Mash a ripe banana with about two heaping tablespoons of peanut butter.  The banana was still lumpy.  This much filling made two sandwiches.

Toast the bread on one side in a skillet with a light coating of butter. 

Fill the toasted side of two pieces with the peanut butter-banana mixture.

Beat an egg with 1 tablespoon of milk.

Carefully coat both sides of each sandwich with the egg mixture. 

Lightly brown the sandwiches in butter in a medium hot skillet.

Allow to cool before cutting because the filling is very soft.

You might try this with peanut butter and jelly, too.  Elvis included cocoa, but, not having read the recipe, I wasn't sure about that part.  To make a firmer crust you might coat the sandwich with pancake batter instead of the egg mixture.

For a special treat dust the sandwiches with powdered sugar.

Have fun--be remarkable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kind of food do you eat most often?