We're in this for the long haul

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

French Toast--A Treat for Breakfast

French Toast is one of the truly special treats I enjoyed as a child.  Besides being very good, I also considered it slightly exotic.  My mother would let me help.  Tasks like this taught me to crack and separate eggs.  It didn't really matter if I broke the yolk since it all went in the bowl after I practiced.  Then I beat it with a whisk or a fork and added three tablespoons of milk.  A tablespoon of sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon didn't hurt.  We usually got three wonderful pieces of toast unless we let one stay in the batter too long; then one piece would be extra moist and tender.  The rule was to let the last piece stay in the bowl until all the batter was gone.  I also learned to use a spatula to turn the toast.  It is easier than pancakes because it doesn't tear up or drip like they do.  To make it really light and puffy, put the slices in a single layer on a greased baking sheet after they have been browned in a skillet, and bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 8 minutes or less.

I always served it with bacon and jelly.  Eventually I learned that it is good with syrup and honey, too.  And maybe with ice cream or whipped cream and chocolate sauce.

French toast accomodates any kind of bread you happen to have, and it is fine for it to be slightly stale.  Texas Toast is a thick sliced bread that is really good for French Toast, but you may have to increase the batter since the thicker bread absorbs more.  French bread is excellent for French Toast.  Leftover rolls are good too, but you may want to slice them.   

Make it a special treat and make memories, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kind of food do you eat most often?