We're in this for the long haul

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

GARLIC!!!

English: A basket of garlic (allium sativum) o...
Image via Wikipedia

There was a time when I thought garlic was over the top, but I have changed my mind. The chefs on TV can't seem to get enough of it and I have come to understand why. It's really good!
Buy the garlic powder, not garlic salt, to prevent increased sodium in your diet. You can use the garlic blubs, but it is more trouble than the powder. You can enrich a frozen dinner by a sprinkle and freshen up leftovers with a little.
Traditionally, garlic has been highly associated with Italian food, but I find it in many recipes from the Far East, Middle East, Mexico, France and Jamaica, etc.  If you really want the fresh garlic, buy the bulbs and separate the cloves.  To separate them easily, strike the bulb with a spatula or the flat edge of a knife.  Place them on a pan and roast them in a slow oven 300 degrees until they become a rich brown.  Store them in the fridge in a glass jar covered with olive oil , and use the bulbs and the oil in any recipe you want.  The bulbs will be soft and buttery to spread on toast or pizza crust.


One really neat thing about garlic is that it is fairly easy to grow.  I planted a whole bulb in my flower bed early in the spring.  Now it has several stems growing tall and straight.  When the heads form, the stems will bend gracefully and enhance the flower bed even more.  I am looking forward to this and then eating my produce.
The health food addicts claim it as valuable for your heart and blood pressure. I just like it because it makes things taste good.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

What kind of food do you eat most often?